How can we figure out what Source wants us to do, especially if we cannot hear the inner voice yet?
I was surprised to find out that divine guidance can come in many forms.
All we need to do is ask.
The following list contains examples (and is by no means exhaustive).
- Dreams with literal or metaphorical meaning
- Songs that are stuck in the head which have meaningful lyrics
- Inner voice (voiceless or audible)
- Blocks of thought (i.e. sudden mental insight without any formulated sentences)
- Inner knowing (wordless gut level feeling)
- Inner urge to do something (for example, the urge to turn to the alarm clock in the morning and switch it off just one minute before it would go off by itself)
- Physical sensations (like a tingling feeling, muscle twitching, or seeing a tiny visible spark of light)
- Emotions (for example, feeling guilty or discontent when we are disobeying divine guidance vs. joy when we are on track)
- Sickness (example: back pain in https://karinfinger.wordpress.com/2014/11/23/coming-out-of-hiding/)
(Certain body parts can point to different underlying emotional causes. For more information, see Louise Hay’s book Heal Your Body)
- Words or pictures showing up on the outside world
- Patterns of events with literal or metaphorical meaning, sometimes mirroring us (example: the clogged drain in https://karinfinger.wordpress.com/2014/12/29/the-power-of-forgiveness/)
- Opening a book at a random page or drawing a Tarot card
- Numbers (like 11:11 ), pennies and dimes, feathers or anything else that we have assigned a meaning to (like a certain type of car)
(see Doreen Virtue’s book Signs from Above)
- Animals can have a meaning according to the shamanic tradition
- Spirit guides who show up in the flesh in the living room (as described by Gary Renard in The Disappearance of the Universe, or by Pamela Wilson to whom Ramana Maharshi appeared in her bedroom, see http://conscious.tv/text/12.htm ). But these are rather rare cases.
- Psychic mediums or an insightful friend
Anything can become our teacher. The whole universe is moved by the single invisible hand of Source. We just need to ask.
- The book recommendation
The same book (by Ramana Maharshi) was recommended twice to Renate McNay by different people. But she wasn’t interested.
Then, she was in a bookstore and the book fell on her head out of nowhere.
Finally, she got the message and read the book. (http://conscious.tv/text/12.htm )
- Customizing the inner voice
I insisted that I wanted to hear an audible inner voice. Somehow, I had the idea that in order to be real guidance the voice must be audible.
So, one morning, I heard an audible voice into my head.
It said „Freedom” in a very low bass.
Next week on another morning, I got an audible voice in my head saying something in a high pitch Mickey Mouse voice.
That seemed like a humorous suggestion for customizing the voice of my internal satellite navigation system. Apparently, Source was making fun of me.
I felt humbled. But I admired the universe’s teaching methods, patience, and humor.
And I stayed with the voiceless voice setting.
- Craving more stories?
More personal accounts can be found in the Divine Guidance Project of Mark Allan Kaplan, Ph.D., http://www.divineguidanceproject.org/stories/stories.htm .
I’d love to read your stories of guidance, if you feel like sharing them in the comments.
Edit (April 2016): Since more than one year the universe tries to push me to put this post into a workshop format. Here you can read with what humorous and humbling methods my guides were trying to conquer my resistance to this endeavor: The universe’s bag of tricks.
Edit (May 2017): I held a pilot version of the workshop on divine guidance end of March 2017. The script is available as a pdf download from my products page (- it is free and you don’t need to enter your email address).